I've been juggling with time..trying to find a way to make this dish..Chicken Katsu Don is a popular Japanese food. Usually serve in a bowl of rice with chicken or beef cutlets; this is my first time making Chicken Katsu Don, have to says I love it very much..the flavors is just Yum!
This is my first attempt of making this delicious Chicken Katsu Don; I adapted the recipe from Nami. At first when I look through the picture..I thought it make take me a huge time to prepare it..but when I read through it; it was not that hard to deal with ehe..
200g (7oz or 4) chicken tenders
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 egg (1 for chicken katsu, 2 for donburi)
1 cup Panko ( available in Japanese Supermarket)
Oil for deep frying
2 serving rice
Mitsuba (Japanese wild parsley)
Ichimi togarashi (Japanese chili powder)
2/3 cup dashi stock
1 ½ Tbsp. sake ( I don't use sake subtitute with water )
1 ½ Tbsp. mirin
1 ½ Tbsp. soy sauce
1 ½ tsp. sugar
1. Dust salt and pepper on chicken tenders and dredge in the flour, the beaten egg (1 egg) and the panko.
2. Heat ½ inch of oil in a frying pan and deep fry at 350F (180C) until golden brown. Take out the chicken and drain extra oil on paper towel.
3. Slice onion and make dashi stock.
4. In a frying pan, bring Seasonings and onion to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook onion until wilted.
5. Put chicken katsu in it and turn the heat up to medium high heat. Pour and distribute beaten egg (2 eggs) evenly.
6. When egg is half cooked, add mitsuba and turn off the heat. Serve rice in a Donburi bowl and put Chicken and egg mixture on top. Serve with Ichimi togarashi (chili pepper) on the side.
* Note about the sake; I have checked with Nami she said its okay to put water if you don't take sake :) and yes you still able to enjoy it >enjoy<